Monday, December 2, 2013

I need a weekend to recover from my weekend....

I'm so exhausted, as I write this on Sunday night, I'm longing for it to be Friday again!  Not that it really means THAT much to me, it's not like I have to get up too early tomorrow and go to work.....but I wouldn't mind having at least one extra day without having to drive anywhere or do anything!

Friday night my mother in law came over for a sleepover, so she would be close for our 2nd annual Christmas Craft Show at Limefreckle Jr's school on Saturday.  My MIL bakes all week, along with many of her friends, and she brings everything over to the school on Friday, while we are setting up for the craft show.  This is the 3rd show we have had, one last Christmas, and one in the spring, and it's a wonderful way for us to raise some money for the program, and to raise awareness about the school, a wonderful program for kids on the spectrum.  A couple of years ago I was looking for Christmas craft shows to participate in, and it occurred to me that maybe WE should try running a craft show.  We always earn about $2,000 from the table fees, bake sale, raffles and door prizes, etc. I handle all the advertising and coordinating the vendors, my hubby prints flyers and signs for us (he's in the printing business) and the staff at the school organize everything else.  My mother in law runs the bake sale, she's quite an expert at it, has been running them for years at her church and a local senior's centre.  It's a lot of work, and I always stress way too much about things that always tend to work out fine in the end, and I always leave the school that day with a million ideas running through my head about how we can do it better next time.  It's so satisfying to be able to do something that helps the school, the program coordinator and the teachers at the school have done so much to help my son and our family, I would do anything to help them and the school.  But by the time it's all over, after spending all of Friday at the school setting up tables etc., and then getting up at 5AM to get to the school by 7, so that vendors can set up, I'm usually pretty exhausted by the end of the day.  Saturday night I got home, crashed on the couch and slept for 2 hours!

Sunday we spent the whole day pulling out all of our Christmas decor, which is stored in the garage, and putting up the decorations outside. Usually Mr. Limefreckle and I have our annual fight about the Christmas lights, but this year we did it quite well, working together with relatively little arguing!   I hung a garland only to discover that although I bought garland just last year, it's light's were burnt out already.  I made 2 trips to Canadian Tire, couldn't find what I wanted, then finally just ripped off the old string of lights that it came with, and wrapped it with my own.  It really burns me to have stuff die out so fast, we only got one season out of those lights!!!  I think I need to buy one of those light tester things so that we can find out easier which light is the problem. Why, in the year 2013, this problem hasn't been addressed?  Next year I think we just need to hire someone to come and do the whole house!! That would be soooooo much easier.

Limefreckle Jr. volunteered me to bake cookies for a contest that is happening at the school on Monday --- and he mentioned it to me Friday.  I whipped up a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and made him help me, although he was resistant.  He has huge eating issues, and doesn't really like touching or smelling different foods.  But he did so well, he put all the ingredients together for me, and I had him smell everything before hand.  He was nervous to get egg on his hand, but he did crack the eggs for me.  And he even tasted the cookie, which is always a victory, to get him to try something different.  So it was a great teaching opportunity for us -- and the cookies turned out darn good, if I do say so myself.

Now I'm surrounded  by boxes and containers filled with all our Christmas decor, and just not ready to tackle all of that just yet.  I got the nativity scene up, and some mini trees, but that is it.  This week I'll slowly tackle all the rest, and hopefully by this time next week, it will all be done!  I'm in no mood to cook tonight, so it's a good time to go to a movie, and have dinner there -- Limefreckle Jr. is anxious to see Disney's "Frozen" so we are heading there in a couple of hours.

And, to top everything off, my good blogging friend Jodi (a fellow Canadian) at Love and Crayons is having a giveaway tomorrow featuring one of my wrap bracelets.  Head on over to her blog and check it out, you can enter there to win.  Or you can order one yourself here in my shop



Pin It

1 comments:

Loveandcrayons said...

Wow, I didn't know you organize and plan the school craft fair!! Way to go!! That's incredible!! And, must be a ton of work! I don't blame you for wanting to have more time left in the weekend!! Did it go well this year?
And that's a huge step, I'm guessing, for Jr to help you make and try the cookies!! Did he like them?
We already have a lot of entires for the bracelet!! Yaaaaay!!
How was Frozen? We want to take Oliver, but don't think we have the time this weekend!