Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Milestones....

This weekend we celebrated a big milestone in the Limefreckle household....Mr. Limefreckle turned 50!! We did it up big, rented a room at a local golf course, hired a band, and invited 60 some of our closest friends and family to come and help us celebrate! I asked Limefreckle Jr. if he wanted to greet people as they came in, and show them the seating chart, so they could find their tables. He was excited for the task, and took it very seriously. I watched him introduce himself to everyone (many people hadn't seen him since he was a baby or small child, he didn't know so many of the people he went up to) He would extend his hand for a handshake, introduce himself, and help them find their way in. It was so touching to see this young man put himself out there! Mr. Limefreckle asked that in lieu of gifts, our guests make donations to Limefreckle Jr's school. When he gave his speech, he talked about our journey in this world of autism, and how finding this school has been such a lifesaver for us. It was very touching, I could barely look around the room, because I was in tears.... And then Limefreckle Jr. decided to give a speech. It was very impromptu, I had asked him a couple of weeks ago if he wanted to speak at his Dad's party, but he never really answered me, and I forgot about it. But he decided he wanted to say something, so he headed up to the podium. I asked him if he wanted me to come up with him, in case he was nervous...he wasn't interested. He paused a little bit when he started, and I wondered if he was a little nervous, but I think he was just gathering his thoughts. He thanked his Dad for all he's done for him, for bringing him to this school, how they have taught him so much, they've taught him to "spread his wings so he can one day leave the nest". He threw in a few jokes, and of course, announced the completion of his latest work, "an interesting project" as he put it, the movie that he created for his Dad's birthday. The kid is a whiz on imovies! He ended by saying "this is heartwarming, I think I'm going to cry!" So many people came up to me after to tell me how they were in tears during the speech, even our waitress and the bartenders! I have NEVER been so proud of our young boy!!!

1 comments:

Loveandcrayons said...

Way to go Limefreckle Jr!! What a brave kid! Sounds like it would have been quite the speech to hear! And happy birthday to your hubby!!