Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I'm home!

Limefreckle Jr. started school yesterday, and as we pulled into the parking lot, he exclaimed "I'm HOME!" I am so very grateful that he loves this little school so much!   He strolled through the front doors like he owned the place (after the obligatory, in front of the school photo that I make him pose for every year) and proceeded to measure himself against his teachers (he's grown at least a couple of inches over the summer, and is quite proud that he is taller than all the female teachers). 

 
He met his new teacher, who was a co-op student at our school last spring.  He immediately hugged her, and told her that he had missed her.  ANOTHER reason I love our little school - hugs are plentiful, with no one looking or acting uncomfortable, and no politically correct rules.  LOVE IT!! I remember one time being in a store, and seeing a young girl bump into someone that she hadn't seen in a long time, it appeared to be a teacher, and the girl clearly was on the spectrum.  The girl tried to hug her "teacher" and the woman wouldn't allow it, pulled away, told her that they didn't need to hug, personal space, blah, blah, blah.    After the teacher walked away, the young girl was questioning her mom, asking her what she had done wrong.  I'll never forget it because Jr. was just a young boy at the time, recently diagnosed, and it made me so sad.  I hate to live in a world where hugs are not
 
Anyway, I digress...back to our first day.  Limefreckle Jr. rode in the backseat of the car, saying these words, sounding just like Adam Samler....
 
 
To futher illustrate what great teachers Jr. has, I received this in my email tonight...
 

 
He has the most creative group of teachers I have ever met! 
 
I skipped out of the school, and  FINALLY got back to a hot yoga class.  I could barely keep up, I felt so stiff and out of step.  That's what taking a summer off will do for you!!!  She had a great playlist today, "The Dog Days Are Over" was the first song......how appropriate!  My goal is to get to a class each day this week....hope I can do it!
 
How did your kids fare on their first day back to school?

Pin It

1 comments:

Loveandcrayons said...

That's so awesome that he LOVES his school!! And that the teachers are so open with the kids! Why not hug? It's so natural and I don't think anything is wrong with it!!
Hope you enjoy your hot yoga again!!