Monday, May 6, 2013

Is it summer already?

What happened, did we miss spring? We had it for a couple of days, now it feels like we've moved straight on in to summer! Not that I'm complaining mind you... This weekend was pretty busy around the Limfreckle household.   On Friday night, our new dog trainer came over.  Rufus is our labradoodle, he is 8 years old, and a pretty good dog, but he HATES other dogs.  When he was just a pup, he had a run in with a Lhasa with an attitude, which ended with Rufus picking that little doggie up in his mouth!  It was horrible, compounded by the fact that the little Lhasa was my much beloved brother - he belonged to my parents.  He's no longer with us (not due to Rufus, Spike survived that ordeal, thankfully!)  Ever since Rufus realized he was in charge, he's been walking around with an inflated ego, and barking at every dog that comes near him.




This is the only picture we have of the two of them together....they met once, at Christmas in 2005, when we went up North to visit my parents ---  Rufus never went back there again! (and yes, I know, I was a blonde...why didn't anyone tell me how bad I looked?)


He doesn't look like he just tried to murder my brother, does he?


Oh, I lied, there was one other picture from that trip...look at Rufus running around poor Spike, letting him know whose boss!



and here's the cute little Spike....we miss you buddy!

So, we've lived with this dominant dog for many years now.  When we moved to our new house, his barking at other dogs continued to get worse and worse (we back onto a park, with a chain link fence.  Rufus barks at every dog that dares pass by.  It.is.ex.haust.ing!!!!!)

Enter our new dog trainer.  We went through puppy training lessons, but this is something different.  She's really good,  one of the best trainers I've ever worked with (we had a previous dog that required a lot of training too).  I think that we are going to be able to get past this crazy attitude of his, but it will require a lot of work, and we can't just let him out into the yard anymore on his own, he's lost those privileges.  That means Mommy has to get dressed as soon as she gets out of bed every morning to schlep him outside!!  FUN TIMES!  We also had to block all the windows that he has access to so that he can't see dogs as they pass by -- that alone, while not terribly visually appealing, has been a GODSEND because he was getting worse and worse, jumping up on our front couch to look out the window, and "chasing" the passerby all around our house to the back, barking like a maniac the entire time.  We are all a lot more relaxed around here, just with that "band aid" solution.  Let's hope this leash training doesn't take too long, he does seem to be catching on quickly on his walks, so I'm hopefully this isn't going to last all summer.

On Saturday the pool guys came by and opened up our pool.  I thought we were early till I signed into facebook and saw a friend's kids frolicking in THEIR pool.  Limefreckle Jr. keeps asking me when he's going to be able to swim.  I finally fired up the heater, lets hope we have good weather this week!

True story....when we first moved into this house, Limefreckle Jr. appeared poolside, in his bathing suit, as the pool guys peeled off the cover to open the pool.  I had told him that we were opening the pool, it hadn't occurred to me to tell him that it would take a day or two before the pool was ready to swim in.  He thought he was going to be able to go in then and there!  Ah, the workings of the autistic mind! 

Limefreckle Jr. 2 years ago, when we first moved into this house
 He did end up swimming on Sunday after all, the pool wasn't warmer than 70, but he didn't care.  He could have stayed in there all day, we lured him out with a little propane fire on the patio.  I'm so happy to be able to sit outside again!

 Let's hope this wonderful weather stays with us for a few weeks, MONTHS!


Pin It

2 comments:

Danielle K said...

Hooray for pool time. It's such a strange concept for me to hear about pools being "opened" since we can use them almost year round here :)

Kelly said...

My vote is for summer to stay awhile! Hopefully Limefreckle Jr will get plenty of pool time. I love your dog - she is so cute. I hope the training goes well!