Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My favourite foods

It feels so good to have bared my soul in blogland and received such positive reinforcement!  Thanks everyone for your kind comments on yesterday's post.  Today I decided that posting here more frequently about this weight loss journey would probably be an excellent way to keep me on track, while I endeavour to take off the next 30 lbs.  I'm going to start posting some of my favourite new recipes each week.  Our eating has really changed SO much since Mr. Limefreckle and I started this life change.  Veggies are in abundance around here, fruit (especially berries) no longer go bad in the fridge, but get eaten every day.  Greek yogurt is our new favourite dessert, I have some pretty much every night.  It's so ingrained in our routine, that just having a bowl of this signals "your done" to my stomach...and I find I don't struggle with hunger every night.  I have about 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt (either the flavoured kind, honey is my favourite) or I buy plain Greek yogurt and add a couple of squirts of agave nectar for sweetness.  Then I add about 1/4 cup of berries, either blueberries, raspberries or strawberries (or all 3 if I'm feeling adventurous) or I add 1/2 banana.  The berries are probably a better choice if you are concerned too much about the excess carbs.   Then, the secret for me, that makes this a little more "dessert like" is to add a couple of teaspoons of grape nuts.  To me this sort of tastes like I've added graham crumbs, and if I close my eyes I'm ALMOST eating cheesecake!  It's as close as I've gotten to cheesecake in awhile anyway, and it definitely satisfies my sweet tooth.  Another great snack I've rediscovered lately is frozen grapes.  Just lay grapes (removed from vine of course) on a cookie sheet and freeze overnight.  Then put in a Ziploc bag and serve (I try to eat only about 1/2 cup at a time...but beware, they are addictive!)

One of my favourite recipes that is on the menu almost every week around here, and will be the first recipe I post in my new weekly series, comes from a cookbook that my trainer recommended to me, called GOURMET NUTRITION.  I ordered mine from Amazon, you should be able to get it anywhere.  You can find more information on the author herewww.precisionnutrition.com


I've cooked a few recipes from this book, all have been excellent.  I'll profile more in the future. 

Today's recipe is TEXAS THIN CRUST PIZZA


Servings: 1 large or 2 small
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Prelude: Many folks have an almost instinctive love of pizza. However, on a rational level, they know it’s loaded with processed carbs and saturated fats. So, when you’d rather go with your head, choose this healthy thin crust pizza.
Ingredients:
Olive oil cooking spray
6 oz (170g) ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup yellow onions (small diced)
¼ cup red pepper (small diced)
2 teaspoons garlic (minced)
¼ cup tomato (small diced)
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
1 whole-wheat tortilla
¼ cup pineapple (tidbits, or chopped)
½ cup aged white cheddar (grated)
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F with.
Preheat a non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Lightly coat with spray and add the ground meat and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the beef until lightly browned and cooked all the way through. Add the onions, peppers and garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
Add the tomato and BBQ sauce, stir until combined and remove from heat.
Lightly coat a baking sheet with spray and place the tortilla shell on the tray. Spread the beef and vegetable mixture evenly on the shell leaving the outside ½ inch for the crust.
Top with the pineapple and cheese and then place in the oven. Bake until cheese is melted and shell is nicely toasted (about 10 minutes).

Try to tell me that this is deprivation!  It's fantastic and, like I said, a weekly feature here! 

I have the cookbook, but I found this recipe, along with some others, on the Precision Nutrition website here

2 comments:

Kimi said...

OMG frozen grapes!!! I will eat the entire bag. I have literally no self control. I am going to have to try the recipe. I love Pizza but I have a big problem with carbs...in that I am addicted to them and I need to cut them out of my life. I know my thighs will thank me for it but it is sooooooo hard.

Limefreckle said...

Kimi, I know what you mean about just cutting carbs out of your life....my trainer keeps trying to convince me to do this, but I just can't let go totally. This recipe with the Tortilla as the pizza "shell" really does satisfy! I've never been very successful on low carb diets cause I just can't sustain it for long...but this plan has been working, because I still get some carbs.....