Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Do you go into organizing mode in January?

I don't think I'm alone here, January just seems to be a logical time to organize. I've been that way for years, maybe because it's cold up here in the North, so we are more likely trying to find fun things to do inside.  And for me, organizing is FUN.  I often think I should become a professional organizer.....I would like nothing better than to help people create order and serenity from  chaos.  I don't know if I would be as compassionate as one should be in such a vocation though.....I've often helped my Mom clear out her closet, and I'm, pretty blunt.....often I fall over in peels of laughter if she tries on something I don't find so becoming......so professional organizer might not be the right career choice for me.  But who knows,  maybe that breath of fresh air is just what people need....it seems to work well for Stacey and Clinton on "What not to Wear".

Anyway, this weekend, along with taking down Christmas, I also went into major organizational mode....and I cleared out my closet and bathroom.  I've lost a fair amount of weight since the summer, and as I don't intend to gain it back, I decided to be ruthless and get rid of all the excess clothing that doesn't fit.  I streamlined my closet down to only the clothes that make me feel really good....or at least I think they do.  I have vowed that as I wear things in the future, if they are not comfortable, and they don't make me feel great about myself...then they are going into the giveaway bin.

I should have taken a before picture of my closet....but I forgot.  This is how it looks now:


I have this whole walk in closet to myself....it's not exactly my dream closet, Megan at "Honey we're home" owns that closet,  you can find it here. But in the meantime this is pretty spacious.  It's not been built to use the space in the best way, when we renovate our master bath,  hopefully this spring,  I'm hoping to also reconfigure the closets.  But for now, this will do.


One side houses some of my jewelry, my scarves, jeans, and dressier clothes, as well as shoes.



Yes, I have a thing for shoes....what red blooded woman doesn't?


Purses and flip flops occupy this section.  Underneath is a dresser for workout wear and other essentials.


And tops on the right.  I tried to organize everything into sections, sweaters vs. shirts, colours etc.  We'll see how long that lasts!


And here's my Raggedy Ann,  occupying a place of importance.  My Grandma made her for me, and seeing as I didn't have a little girl to hand her down to  (do little girls even know who Raggedy Ann is these days?) she stays with me, making me smile whenever I look at her well worn hair!

And this is the back of my car this morning, everything packed in as much as will fit, to bring to a local donation centre:


I got there as they opened, at 9AM, and there were 5 other cars, all obviousy with the same idea as me!  Oh and by the way, this isn't ALL clothes from me.  Mr. Limefreckle has also been on this weight loss journey with me, and has downsized, and we got rid of some extra stuff hanging around in the spare room closet.  I also took this opportunity to clean out Limefreckle Jrs' shoe collection, as his feet just won't stop growing (size 8.5 mens...HE'S 10 YEARS OLD!!)  And will cleaning all the Christmas stuff, I got rid of a few things that I know won't suit this new house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her Mom didn't think it was always so funny or that things were "unbecoming"!

Jamie @ The Bullock 5 said...

Great job! January is when i get into organizing mode too! I don't do spring cleaning too well.. I'm usually out in the garden then :-)