It is so bittersweet taking down all the Christmas decorations. On the one hand, I'm anxious to begin the new year, so it's symbolic of that, but on the other hand, who doesn't love to look at Christmas decorations? Especially the lights.....I'll miss the lights.....
So this past weekend (I always wait until at least the weekend AFTER January 1st to say my goodbyes) I had Mr. Limefreckle schlep all the storage boxes from the garage into the house, so I could go through everything.
When we moved, its was quite an ordeal, trying to find a house with storage enough for our Christmas decor. Our real estate agent probably thought we were crazy, but we always had a good laugh, trying to determine in each house we viewed, where we would store Christmas. The designated storage area in this house is the garage, and it's quite a tight fit. Since we moved in, I've been planning on going through all of it, to determine what should stay, and what should go. I had wanted to do it before our big garage sale this summer....however lolling around the new pool took precedent.
So this weekend was the weekend.....no more playing around. I went through each and every box, purged what I no longer thought I would use, and labelled everything, clearly.
I'm a big labeller.....I love my label maker. However often those little labels tend to peel at the corners and fall off. So this year, I did something a little different.
I have a great scrap booking program called SCRAPBOOK MAX. If I understood Photoshop Elements a little better (learning it is on my 2012 to-do list) I'm sure I could create the same thing with that program, but for me, Scrapbook Max is easier to use. I created picture labels for each storage box, outlining what is in every box. Having a child with autism has taught me one thing.....I, like him, am a visual learner. I like pictures to tell me what is in a container. I figured this way we can more easily identify everything in the garage without having to open up each container to find out. Here are some examples I made:
I taped a picture to each side of each container, so no matter how they are stacked, I will be able to easily see what is inside. I used packer's tape to secure the picture to the container, I think this will be a lot more secure than my past labels from my trusty label maker.
Here's a stack, ready for Mr. Limefreckle to take everything out to the garage:
And here is everything, tucked away for another year......
Now, if I could just figure out how to get my car in there.....