Monday, December 12, 2011

The Christmas tour - my own 12 days of Christmas

Well, we've got 12 days left until Christmas Eve, so to countdown MY 12 days of Christmas, I'm going to take you on a tour of the house....first up, our family room.


here's the fireplace mantel:


the plate wall, with a little decoration:


the tree:


The tree in this room is all about memories. All of our favourite ornaments, collected over the years are here. We have ornaments that have been made by family members, ornaments we have collected from our travels, ornaments with pictures. Everytime I hang an ornament I remember something associated with it. Maybe I think about the trip where the ornament was purchased, or the person that made it, or gave it to me. It's may not be a decorator tree, but it's my favourite to do every year.
This is my elf, one of my oldest decorations, and it was always my favourite.


here's our dog Rudolph, who is no longer with us.


A Puffin head, from our trip to Eastern Canada, and a snowman that my brother painted for us.

Another ornament from our travels, baby's 2nd christmas, a handmade knitted ornament my grandma made me years ago....


I could go on and on and ON! But I truly do have the best time putting all these ornaments on the tree...to me, these kind of trees, will always be my favourite!

Here's my table, I took the large platter that always sits there, and filled it with ornaments, some faux greenery. The two candles are filled with epsom salts, the best faux snow I've found yet.....


Here's a new addition for this year....I found this knitted reindeer at Sears, one day after watching an episode of "The Marilyn Denis Show" where it was featured...and guess what? All Christmas decor was 60% off that day only...it was as if it was meant to come home with me!


And finally, on the table in the corner opposite the tree, sits this pinecone basket filled with lights. I made this YEARS ago, and have used it for so long...I'm surprised the lights haven't burnt out yet! It's a super easy craft to make...and like I said...will last forever!


Tomorrow I'll write up a tutorial for you on how to make these baskets. Super easy, and they make great gift ideas too!

2 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I got such a kick out of that red knitted reindeer head! How fun! :)

Michaela said...

Love your decorations for the season! Thanks for linking up with me for our Christmas Cheer link party (: