Sunday, December 7, 2008

School Inclusion workshop

I just got back from a 2 day workshop about school inclusion, by a woman named Darcy Elks -- google her, and you can find some info about this spectacular woman, and she has quite literally revolutionized the way I think about my son! I went to this workshop feeling very beaten down, ready to give up, thinking that the system isn't working for my son, and I feel now that I've been reminded of just how capable my son really is, and I'm renewed in my vow to fight for him, and get him the right education.

As the years have gone by with my son and his disability, I have joined groups, networked with other parents, and I realize how important that is --- change happens largely because of parents and their desire to make the world a better place for their kids, and I feel so empowered after this weekend. I met so many great people, all with wonderful stories to tell about their amazing children --- if you have a child with special needs, I strongly urge you to network with other parents, attend conferences, learn as much as you can -- it really does help you to become a better parent, a better advocate, a better person!

0 comments: