Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Elephant in the playroom

I've been reading this book lately, and I LOVE it! It's a group of short stories, written by parents of special needs children, and when I first bought it, I thought "wow, what a great book to give to a parent of a special needs child" but now that I'm reading through it, I think it's something that would be wonderful for parents of TYPICAL children to read.

I have read SOOOOOO many books about autism, the spectrum, sensory processing disorder, you name it, I've read it! As a parent of a child on the spectrum, I do feel that I need to educate myself as much as possible --- but this book was a fun read, just something to make me think! Many of the stories made me cry -- and made me thankful that our issues are surprisingly small compared to what some families have to go through.....ALL the stories have further reinforced my feelings that parents of children with special needs really are a "different" kind of parent -- we get pushed to limits sometimes that other parents just can't understand -- that's why I think this is a book that ALL parents can relate to -- you don't need to have a special needs child to understand.

As you can see from the image, which I borrowed from here the book is on sale too!

0 comments: